Vancouver, 2 May, 2011: Election Day: I am dedicating this blog to my dear brother-in-law, Kirk who keeps hoping that someday I will get out of the “right” side of the bed.
I left work a little early today so I could vote before the last minute rush began. As I had forgotten my voting card at home, I swung by 1760 just as my two suitemates arrived home. They were confused about where the Norgate School voting station was so I offered to drive them.
This is when Loreen’s evil streak #1 raised its ugly head. “OK, I know they will probably vote Conservative and cancel my NDP vote, but seriously Loreen – do the right thing!”
We ventured off to the polling station and while we all had our voting cards, neither Patty nor Freda had proof of residence. We needed a utility bill addressed to our residence to prove we belonged to that area of the polling station.
I was able to sign a declaration that one of them was living at my resident. Evil streak #2 rose up inside of me as they were both saying “let’s not vote – there’s no problem.” Typical of their kind and “don’t want to cause any problems” gentle Filipino culture.- Seriously Loreen – do the right thing. I insisted that I vouch for one of them.
They decided that Patty would vote and she quickly disappeared into the voting booth to surely cancel out my vote. At this point I said to Freda, a more confirmed Conservative, that we’d go home and find a utility bill – not that easy as I pay heat, light and television. That left credit card and mobile phone.
Freda objected all the way home – I don’t need to vote – it’s OK. We pulled up in front of my place, just as evil streak #3 surfaced – good probability that Patty cancelled my vote – you can cave and eliminate a second vote for the Conservative incumbent. But I gave my soul a good shake and said, “no – we’ll wait here – why don’t you check the mailbox there might be something there.”
Freda conceded – ran up to the mailbox and came jubilantly back to the car with her Fido bill in hand. So back to the polling station we went, with me trying ever so hard to block out the thought that my vote would be doubly damned.
On the ride home Freda was saying how confused she was with all the candidate options – we had 9 candidates and some were very confusing, i.e., PC Party of Canada and Conservative Party – Libertarian Party and Liberal. Very confusing for someone whose first language is Tagalog.
Freda said that she was so confused that in the end she voted for Terry Platt, NDP. She had heard Terry on television and decided she like her as person and didn’t care about her politics.
Voila – not sure who Patty voted for, but my voted wasn’t cancelled, it was doubled.
Just waiting now to find out the results – the turnout was massive in our riding. Tons of young people which was wonderful.
If Harper gets back in I will be very sad for our country, but hopefully there are more Freda’s voting for the first time and voting for people because they are good people.
Still hoping for an NDP led coalition with the Liberals. If the Conservatives get back in I will be able to say – you guys have a face that says please lie to me so I can believe you!

No comments:
Post a Comment