Sunday, May 29, 2011

Starlings and Pigeons Beware

The record late arrival of spring to the wetcoast has meant that the demand on my birdfeeders has grown exponentially.  Finches and warblers have already arrived for the summer and the juncos have not yet departed for the high country.  I also have a family of crows who sit on my deck in the morning cawing at me until I give them their breakfast of dry bread.  Their attitude is like this . . .

The only birds that are not welcome are those awful starlings, (imposters who are terribly mean and thoughtless to others,) and the pesky pigeons who winter under my eaves.  

The solution to both pests is fun, environmentally friendly and does the trick.  Equipment is a slingshot purchased in the old market in Puerto Vallarta, wine corks cut in half, and a basket to keep everything handy and at the ready!


I haven't even come close to hitting the starlings, but have certainly scared the bejeezuz out of them.  The pigeons are another matter.  As it is rather challenging to make a quick exit from their perch under the eaves, I have come awfully close to contact twixt cork and bird.  

Not sure what the ornithologists of the world might have to say about it, but I think the chickadees are delighted.

By the way, I plan to substitute the half corks with small ice cubes and create a fun backyard target game.  You don't even have to retrieve the amo as it will give the garden an extra few drops of hydration.  I might even establish an international federation and apply for Olympic recognition if it progresses well .... archery federation be duly warned.

Stay tuned for more backyard solutions.  I think I may have found a natural way to get rid of buttercups in the lawn and to stopping the neighbourhood cats from pissing on my vegetable garden. 

Can you tell that I've dedicated this weekend to cleansing my soul in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment