Thursday, January 15, 2015

AGING BACKWARDS

I received the most wonderful gift at Christmas from my sister Lesley – A book by Miranda Esmonde-White called “Aging Backwards”.  http://www.essentrics.com/agingbackwards.html

Since I received this gift, Miranda Esmonde-White has been popping up everywhere, i.e., the interesting interview in the link below is about how her classical, dynamic, strengthening stretching techniques are used by the Montreal Canadian NHL hockey team. Learn more about this at this link: 
http://www.cbc.ca/player/AudioMobile/All+in+a+Weekend+Montreal/ID/2591965934/

As a former ballerina with the Canadian National Ballet, it was very interesting to learn about the impact she has had on rough and tumble sports like professional hockey.   

I have read Miranda's book, "Aging Backwards", cover to cover several times and now work through several routines daily.  


Besides the recommended exercises in “Aging Backwards”, I really enjoy following Miranda and her daughter Sarah on Youtube.  Especially these essentric workouts:

For those of us who love, love, love sport and

physical exercise, (lots of wonderful crossfit people in my life,) it is important to consider the premise of Miranda’s essentrics – most of our sport, exercise, mobility, and normal daily activities involve concentric movements or the shorting of muscles and hence tightening of connective tissue around our joint.  For me it has been really worthwhile to spend 20% of my physical activity doing essentric exercises to counter the shorting and pulling in on our joints.


I have applied the principles of gentle and graceful stretching of the muscles around my aching left mandible joint, which is probably the result of work-life stress. To date, despite expensive dental and physio costs, it is the only thing that has relieved the aching and tension in the joint.

I also think it is important for some of the people in my life, and probably in your's, who have had traumatic injuries or aging / mobility issues to consider essentrics.  Such as: 

  • My brother-in-law Kirk who has had two wicked ski accidents with very nasty outcomes for his knees and legs
  • My sister Cathy and wonderful friend Sheila who have both had back surgery and numerous other joint injuries
  • My many friends who have joined me in Decade7 who have spent their life loving the multisport lifestyle and particularly the swim-bike-run triathlon and are now faced with creeping mobility and joint issues.

I am currently looking for a retreat with either Sarah or Miranda (or one of their protégés) and would love all of you to join me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment